Friday, October 3, 2014

Mid-Season Mail Successes

Now that the Mets season is over, I am at that awkward point in between seasons where the MLB is in the postseason, NFL is in week five, and the NHL and NBA haven't started yet. Since there have been few opportunities to get autographs in-person, I figured I'd share some of my most recent mail successes.

Current Kansas City Royals pitcher and former Oriole Jeremy Guthrie signed two cards for me, including one personalized. I mailed these to the stadium in Kansas City and got them back in about a month.

Former New York Yankee and journeyman pitcher Bob Shirley signed four card for me and personalized one of them. 

Remember Mike Cameron? He played for eight different teams over a 16 year MLB career. He is known for his Gold Glove winning defense, thanks to plays like this and this. He signed five cards for me.

Speaking of people named Mike, Mike Stanton (the pitcher) signed three cards for me in the mail. Not to be confused with Giancarlo (Mike) Stanton. Stanton pitched for both New York teams, and he was also named in the Mitchell Report, although he denies using any banned substance. 

Bruce Berenyi, a member of the 1986 New York Mets, signed a card and personalized an index card for me. I sent a few cards, but he only signed one of them. 


Brian Schneider is now the manager of a Single-A team in Jupiter, Florida. He was previsouly a catcher for the Mets and Nationals, among other teams. I sent three cards to his new team, and he signed all three of them in about two weeks. 

The 1990 World Series ended when Todd Benzinger caught a foul pop-up, giving the Reds the championship. He signed two cards from the 1989 Upper Deck series for me. 
17 year MLB veteran Rick Cerone signed one card for me. I senate a few, but he only got the one. He is notorious for only doing one item per person. 
Former Yankees and Phillies starter Charles Hudson signed three cards for me. 

So did Greg Brock
Phillies broadcaster and former pitcher Larry Andersen also signed three, personalizing one. I sent five cards, but I guess he kept the other two. 
At a Mets game last season, I took a picture with Mets third base coach Tim Teufel. I mailed him a copy of the photo and a couple cards. He signed them all and sent them back to me. Very happy to get this one back. 




To close out this entry, I'll switch sports, and genders. In all of NHL history, only one female has played in a pre-season game. That female is Manon Rheaume. She played goalie for the Tampa Bay Lightning in a preseason game in 1992. She signed a photo for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment